Douglas W. Ackerman
15 W. Church Street, Suite 301
Orlando, FL 32801
Board Certified in Construction Law by The Florida Bar
- Born in Gross Pointe Woods, Michigan
- Graduated magna cum laude from Florida State University College of Law
- In 2013 obtained $2.4 million jury verdict in construction site wrongful death case
- Board Certified in Construction Law by the Florida Bar since 2005
- Recognized by Super Lawyers 2008-2013
Douglas handles a multitude of issues involving land use, construction, and commercial litigation. In the land use context, he works on rezoning, permitting, variances, special exceptions, alleged wetlands violations, comprehensive plan amendments, restrictive covenants, easements, and landlord-tenant disputes. He also participated as amicus curiae in the landmark case of Pinecrest Lakes, Inc. v. Shidel where, for the first time in Florida history, a court ordered the tearing down of an apartment complex for noncompliance with the comprehensive plan.
In the construction context, Douglas represents nearly every player involved in any construction project including developers, general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, architects, engineers and surveyors. He negotiates, litigates and arbitrates nearly every type of dispute that can arise in a construction project.
In the commercial context, Douglas drafts and litigates operating agreements, non-compete agreements, shareholder and partnership disputes, commercial mortgage foreclosures, residential mortgage foreclosures, and other myriad issues.
Finally, when the trial is over, Douglas isn’t. He has been responsible for over 25 appeals, from motion practice, to preparations of briefs, to oral arguments before panel judges, to post-judgment claims for attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Florida State University, J.D., 1997
- Stetson University, M.A., 1991
- University of Miami, B.A., 1990
- State of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court, Northern, Southern and Middle District of Florida
- McGuire v. Peabody Hotel Group, 99 So.3d 984 (Fla, 1st DCA 2012)
- Paul Jacquin & Sons, Inc. v. City of Port St. Lucie, 69 So.3d 306 (Fla, 4th DCA 2011)
The Marseilles Condominium Owners Association, Inc. v. Travelers Casualty and Surety Company of America, 2009 WL 3491016 (Fla. 1st DCA 2009)
- Langley v. Knowles, 958 So.2d 1149 (Fla. 5th DCA 2007)
- Kany v. Florida Engineers Management Corp., 948 So.2d 948 (Fla. 5th DCA 2007) Pinecrest Lakes, Inc. v. Shidel, 795 So.2d 191 (Fla. 4th DCA 2001)
- Citrus County v. Florida Rock Industries, Inc., 726 So.2d 383 (Fla. 5th DCA 1999)